We will adventure forth in both the real and virtual worlds for this year’s Sci-Fi Fantasy Weekend with Nina Kiriki Hoffman! MEMBER REGISTRATION OPENS Feb 15 | General Registration opens Feb 20 and closes March 23
Gather together with fifteen other writers for a virtual weekend of science fiction and fantasy writing. From high fantasy sword and sorcery, to the dark realms of Twilight Zone-ish work, to elves, gnomes, and trolls of all imagination, each participant will write a complete short story in twenty-four hours.
March 31-April 2, 2023
In Person at Yachats, OR and Wordcrafters Online Zoom Matrix of Worlds
Registration deadline March 23
MEMBERS SAVE 15% OFF REGISTRATION!
Online only – $175
In-person but staying at the Adobe Resort $175 (workshop only – you’ll need to book your own room!)
In-person at the Beach House FRIDAY – SUNDAY $550 – SOLD OUT
Want an extra night at the beach? In-person at the Beach House THURSDAY – SUNDAY $650 – SOLD OUT
This is in an in-person event. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required to attend as we have medically sensitive folks attending, and want everyone to be able to participate. For retreats a negative day-of COVID test will also be required.
Members enjoy early access to registration and save 10% on classes and events.
Login to access member prices.
Don’t want to miss this event? Make sure you’re signed up for our email list to get the latest news.
All writers are welcome, from the beginner to the accomplished short story writer or novelist. The instructor will be there to help with plot, story structure, or character development. This is a fun way to get started in short story writing, and a fantastical way to meet other writers working in the same genre.
Tuition includes all instruction, a panoply of virtual worlds, and some very real treats and supplies.
We will get together Friday night after dinner to talk about creating creatures and worlds fantastical and futuristic along with the structure of short stories. And then. . . ready, set, write! The point is to write a complete science fiction or fantasy story by 7 pm on Saturday, when we will gather together to read our stories. The instructor is available to help you with your stories, and to talk privately about your writing. We hold very casual class time during meals. Sunday morning we give light feedback/critiques on the stories we heard Saturday night. (Don’t be nervous—everything is first draft.)
Details & Schedule
Sci-Fi Fantasy Weekend will be held will be held in person at our lodge in Yachats, OR, and in our virtual ethereal beach house (via zoom with lots of breakout cabins–some of them haunted). Attendance is limited to 16 participants, plus instructor.
- 5 pm – The main world opens to begin gathering, enjoy libations, get to know each other
- 6 pm – Dinner and cocktail hour–potluck style
- 7 pm – Gather around the campfire to talk about science fiction and fantasy stories, story structure, magical writing inspiration
- 8 pm – Start Writing! You have until 7 pm on Saturday eve to write
- You are welcome to write on your own until we gather again at 7 pm Saturday eve.
- The Game World will be open running parallel play sessions until the clock strikes twelve. Breakout cabins will also be open for anyone who wants to connect.
You are welcome to write on your own until we gather again at 7 pm.
We will gather for virtual potluck meals and informal instruction discussion (totally optional to attend) at:
- 9 am – Breakfast
- 1 pm – Lunch
- 6 pm – Dinner
- Nina will be available for questions and story help throughout the day
- The Game World will be open all day running parallel play sessions
- Breakout worlds will also be open for anyone who wants to connect.
7 pm til the Witching Hour – Gather around the fire to share stories!
- 8 am – Breakfast and coffee and chocolate and conversation
- 9 am to Noon – Moderated story advice session
The weekend begins at 5 pm Friday, March 31, 2023 and goes until noon on Sunday, April 2.
Want an extra night at the beach house to settle in? Arrive Thursday eve and have a “no host” extra night at the lodge.
About the Instructor
Nina Kiriki Hoffman has been selling science fiction, fantasy, and horror stories for many years. Her work has appeared in R. L. Stine’s Ghosts of Fear Street, Star Trek Voyager, Bruce Coville anthologies, Cicada Magazine, and many other magazines and anthologies.