In a world with a deadly global pandemic, an intrepid band of writers are forced to self-isolate for the good of the kingdom, travelling instead through the ethernet to discover new realms and explore galaxies far and near.
Gather together with fifteen other writers for a virtual weekend of science fiction and fantasy writing. From high fantasy sword and sorcery, to the dark realms of Twilight Zone-ish work, to elves, gnomes, and trolls of all imagination, each participant will write a complete short story in twenty-four hours.
All writers are welcome, from the beginner to the accomplished short story writer or novelist. The instructor will be there to help with plot, story structure, or character development. This is a fun way to get started in short story writing, and a good way to meet other writers working in the same genre.
Tuition includes all instruction, a panoply of virtual worlds, and some very real treats and supplies.
We will get together Friday night after dinner to talk about creating creatures and worlds fantastical and futuristic along with the structure of short stories. And then. . . ready, set, write! The point is to write a complete science fiction or fantasy story by 7 pm on Saturday, when we will gather together to read our stories. The instructor is available to help you with your stories, and to talk privately about your writing. We hold very casual class time during meals. Sunday morning we give light feedback/critiques on the stories we heard Saturday night. (Don’t be nervous—everything is first draft.)
Details & Schedule
SciFi Fantasy Weekend will be held in our virtual matrix (via zoom with lots of breakout worlds–some of them haunted). Attendance is limited to 16 participants, plus instructor.
- 4 pm – The main world opens to begin gathering, enjoy cocktails, get to know each other
- 6 pm – Dinner and cocktail hour–virtual potluck style
- 7 pm – Gather around the campfire to talk about ghost stories, story structure, spooky writing inspiration
- 8 pm – Start Writing! You have until 7 pm on Saturday eve to write
- You are welcome to write on your own until we gather again at 7 pm Saturday eve.
- The Game World will be open running parallel play sessions until the clock strikes twelve. Breakout cabins will also be open for anyone who wants to connect.
You are welcome to write on your own until we gather again at 7 pm.
We will gather for virtual potluck meals and informal instruction discussion (totally optional to attend) at:
- 9 am – Breakfast
- 1 pm – Lunch
- 6 pm – Dinner
- Nina will be available for questions and story help throughout the day
- The Game World will be open all day running parallel play sessions
- Breakout worlds will also be open for anyone who wants to connect.
7 pm til the Witching Hour – Gather around the fire to share stories!
- 8 am – Breakfast and coffee and chocolate and conversation
- 9 am to Noon – Moderated story advice session
The weekend begins at 4 pm Friday, April 23, 2021 and goes until noon on Sunday, April 25.
About the Instructor
Nina Kiriki Hoffman has been selling science fiction, fantasy, and horror stories for many years. Her work has appeared in R. L. Stine’s Ghosts of Fear Street, Star Trek Voyager, Bruce Coville anthologies, Cicada Magazine, and many other magazines and anthologies. Over the past thirty years, Nina has sold adult and YA novels and more than 250 short stories. Her works have been finalists for the World Fantasy, Mythopoeic, Sturgeon, Philip K. Dick, and Endeavour awards. Her first novel, The Thread that Binds the Bones, won a Stoker award in 1994, and her short story “Trophy Wives” won a Nebula Award in 2009. For a list of Nina’s publications, click here.
April 23-24, 2021
Wordcrafters Online Zoom Matrix of Worlds
Member $150 | Nonmember $175
Members enjoy early access to registration and save 10% on classes and events.
Login to access member prices.
Don’t want to miss this event? Make sure you’re signed up for our email list to get the latest news.