Learn the secrets to making your nonfiction narratives vibrant and compelling with Valerie Ihsan
Wednesdays May 15-June 19
May 15, 22, 29, June 5,12,19
This is a HYBRID event.
(The instructor will be in person at the address below. You are free to join in person, or virtually.)
436 Charnelton St. Ste 100
Eugene, OR 97401
We now offer Pay From Your Heart Pricing
We want everyone to have access to our writing programs. Choose the ticket price that best reflects your financial capacity. If you need further support, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participant – $262.00
Sustainer – $349.00 (The true cost of this offering)
Patron – $436.00
Members save 10% on this and other events and classes. Want to know more about becoming a Wordcrafter? Click here.
This class is best suited for Developing Writers ages 16+.
Registration Closes May 8
Telling a compelling story isn’t just about relaying facts—it’s about immersing your audience in a rich tapestry of sensations, evoking emotions that resonate deep within.
In “Exploring Imagery Through the Senses in Creative Nonfiction,” students will be guided into the realm of sensory experience. We’ll delve into the nuances of each sense, learning to harness their potential in order to craft deeply evocative narratives.
- Transform your writing and captivate your readers!
- Unleash the power of sensory imagery in your nonfiction stories, bringing them to life in a way that’s unforgettable.
- Stand out in the vast world of nonfiction storytelling!
- Learn the secrets to making your narratives vibrant and compelling.
What You’ll Learn:
- Introduction to Sensory Imagery: Understand the significance of imagery in nonfiction storytelling and its foundation in human perception.
- Dive into the Five Senses: Weekly deep-dives into each sense, exploring their unique capacities in stirring emotions and evoking vivid mental pictures.
- Mastering Metaphors & Similes: Unlock the art of comparison, creating connections between the familiar and the unknown, making your narratives relatable yet mesmerizing.
- Incorporating Real-Life Experiences: Engage in sensory fieldwork, using your own experiences to craft authentic narratives.
- Crafting Sensory-Driven Scenes: Techniques to immerse readers, making them “feel” the scene rather than just reading it.
- Peer Reviews & Constructive Critiques: Benefit from the insights of fellow writers, refining your craft through shared experiences and feedback.
Duration: 6 weeks Format: Weekly 2-hour in-person OR online sessions (the instructor will be in person), inclusive of lectures, hands-on exercises, and group discussions.
Enroll Today! Whether you’re a budding writer or an experienced storyteller seeking to elevate your craft, this workshop promises to be a game-changer. Dive deep into the world of sensory-driven storytelling and let your words shimmer with life. Join us for an experience that promises not just to hone your skills, but to redefine the way you view the world and the stories you choose to tell.
About the Instructor
Valerie Ihsan, Story Analyst and Book Coach, is the author of You Can’t Dance a Lie: A Memoir of Stepping Into My Truth; The Scent of Apple Tea; and Smell the Blue Sky: Young, Pregnant, and Widowed, winner of a B.R.A.G. Medallion for Top Indie-Published Books. She co-chaired the Eugene Chapter of Willamette Writers for over eight years, diagnoses manuscripts as a Certified Three Story Method Editor, and helps authors write memoirs. She podcasts at the Writer Craft Podcast, loves dogs, and aims to live in Costa Rica and run writing retreats. She lives in Oregon with her husband and three dogs.
Other Classes You May Enjoy:
June 27 | Instill fear and foreboding in your readers during this June Write Club for Grown Ups with Elle Mitchell
May 30 | Unlock Your Writing: Use Tarot to Deepen your Creative Process in our May Write Club for Grown Ups with Meg Hayertz!
Starts April 29 | Let your imagination out to play with Nebula- and Stoker Award-winning writer Nina Kiriki Hoffman
April 25 | Explore writing historical fiction with Flora Winters in our April Write Club for Grown ups!
April 11-14 | Adventure forth in amazing new worlds and write a new short story at this year’s Sci-Fi Fantasy Weekend with Nina Kiriki Hoffman!
Starts April 3 | Make this Poetry Month really special with community arts walks and poetry writing with former poet laureate, Erica Goss!