Come write dark! Come write noir! Join author Valerie Brooks in this four week writing workshop and get ideas to develop your own contemporary noir.
Via film images, examples, exercises and instruction over four weeks, attendees will learn the components that constitute noir and leave with a finished scene, first chapter, or enough ideas to develop a novel. We’ll explore setting, tone, style, character, voice, and plot in contemporary noir to help you find your own noir style.
About the Instructor
Valerie J. Brooks’ latest work, Revenge in 3 Parts, is a neo-femmes-noir novel, first in a trilogy, where the women are badass and take center stage. Raised in Puritanical New England, Brooks was drawn to the gothic, secrets, mystery, and dark side of human nature. After studying film noir, she found her voice for writing noir. She was awarded an Elizabeth George Foundation grant, and her writing residencies include PLAYA, Soapstone, Vermont Studio Center, Villa Montalvo for the Arts, and Hedgebrook.
Other Classes You Might Be Interested In:
- Developing Story Top-down & Bottom-up (July Fiction Fluency Seminar)
- 50 Shades of Romance: Writing Sex Scenes from Sweet to Steamy with Sarina Dorie
- Complex Characters in Memoir with Melissa Hart
- Noir for a New Age: How to Write a Noir Novel with Valerie Brooks
- Manifesting Character in Text (August Fiction Fluency Seminar)