Turn a story scene into a comic with Jen Hernandez at the January Write Club for Grown Ups
Adults (Ages 16+)
January 25, 2024 | 6-8pm
This is an in-person event.
436 Charnelton St. Ste 100
Eugene, OR 97401
We now offer Pay From Your Heart Pricing
We want everyone to have access to our writing programs. Choose the ticket price that best reflects your financial capacity. If you need further support, please contact us at email@example.com.
Participant – $52.00 (For those with limited access to funds)
Sustainer – $69.00 (The true cost of this offering)
Patron – $86.00 (This amount supports those who need to pay less to attend)
Registration Closes January 18
Masks are appreciated in common areas as we have medically sensitive folks attending, and want everyone to be able to participate.
Ever wanted to see your stories as a graphic novel or comic?
Brilliant artistry is less important than understanding how to turn the mood, pacing, and tone into a visual representation.
In this two-hour Write Club for Grown Ups workshop with graphic artist Jen Hernandez:
- You’ll learn how to turn your stories into a comic or graphic novel one scene at a time.
- You’ll learn how to break down a scene from a story you’ve written into scripted parts, and then use those notes to make a visual thumbnail of the scene.
- You’ll learn how to frame an image to show what your characters are feeling, as well as how to get inspiration from graphic novels for young adults.
- You’ll learn about pacing for tone, dramatic angles, and considerations specific to comix media.
- And you’ll practice drawing skills and storytelling through the art of comix.
Drawing experience is not necessary, and you’ll get basic drawing tips to start from whatever skill level you have.
You’ll need to bring:
- scenes you’ve already written for short stories, novels, poetry, or screenplays in any genre.
- any drawing materials you’d like to use. (We’ll have plain paper and pencils and pens)
By the end of the workshop, you’ll have notes and the beginnings of a thumbnailed scene for a comic or graphic novel, to continue working on later, plus tips for visualizing written content for comics, next steps, and a list of resources for further study.
Do you have questions about this or any of our programs? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Instructor
Jen Hernandez (she/they) is an artist and educator based in Corvallis, Oregon. Through fine arts illustration, comics and crafting, Jen tells stories inspired by the natural environment, people, and stories of the Pacific Northwest and world mythology. Connect with her on Instagram or at her website https://jenhernandezart.com/.
More Upcoming Write Club Shenanigans:
Thurs March 28 | Learn to pen captivating songs in our March Write Club for Grown Ups with m5Vibe
Thurs Feb 29 | Learn to leave your readers laughing in our February Write Club for Grown Ups with Sarina Dorie.
Dec 21 | Roll the dice and write a magical story for the holidays with award winning sci-fi fantasy author, Nina Kiriki Hoffman.