The ghosts are haunting the zoom rooms for this year’s ghost story weekend with Eric Witchey! Member registration now open. General registration now open.
Everybody loves a good ghost story!
What better place to craft a spooky story than a virtual haunted lodge in the deep dark zoom woods? Learn the basics of short story structure, enjoy group speculation on what scares us, and let your imagination run wild. Everyone will write a complete short story by the end of the weekend, and read them in a dark, hopefully haunted place. Don’t be scared—well, you can be scared, but don’t be intimidated!
All writers are welcome, from the beginner to the accomplished short story writer or novelist. The instructor will be there to help with plot, story structure, or character development. This is a fun way to get started in short story writing, and a good way to meet other writers working in the same genre.
Tuition includes all instruction, a virtual haunted mansion, and some very real tricksy treats.
We will get together Friday night after dinner to talk about ghosts and other spooky things and the structure of short stories. And then. . . ready, set, write! The point is to write a complete ghost story (romantic, scary, humorous, sentimental—all ghosts are welcome!) by 7 pm on Saturday, when we will gather together to read our stories. The instructor is available to help you with your stories, and to talk privately about your writing. We hold very casual class time during meal times. Sunday morning we give light feedback/critiques on the stories we heard Saturday night. (Don’t be nervous—everything is first draft.)
Details & Schedule
Ghost Story Weekend will be held in our virtual haunted mountain resort (via zoom with lots of breakout cabins–some of them haunted). Attendance is limited to 16 participants, plus instructor.
- 4 pm – The main lodge opens to begin gathering, enjoy cocktails, get to know each other
- 6 pm – Dinner and cocktail hour–virtual potluck style
- 7 pm – Gather around the fireplace to talk about ghost stories, story structure, spooky writing inspiration
- 8 pm – Start Writing! You have until 7 pm on Saturday eve to write
- You are welcome to write on your own until we gather again at 7 pm Saturday eve.
- The Game Room will be open running parallel play sessions until the clock strikes twelve. Breakout cabins will also be open for anyone who wants to connect.
You are welcome to write on your own until we gather again at 7 pm.
We will gather for virtual potluck meals and informal instruction discussion (totally optional to attend) at:
- 9 am – Breakfast
- 1 pm – Lunch
- 6 pm – Dinner
- Eric will be available for questions and story help throughout the day
- The Game Room will be open all day running parallel play sessions
- Breakout cabins will also be open for anyone who wants to connect.
7 pm til the Witching Hour – Gather around the fire to share stories!
- 6 am – The Game Room will be open running parallel play sessions for those who want to do a little morning writing
- 8 am – Breakfast and coffee and chocolate and conversation
- 9 am to Noon – Moderated story advice session
The weekend begins at 4 pm Friday, October 23, 2020 and goes until noon on Sunday, October 25.
About the Instructor
Eric Witchey has made a living as a freelance writer and communication consultant for over 20 years. In addition to producing many corporate non-fiction titles, he has sold more than 150 short stories and four novels. His stories have appeared in six genres on five continents, and he has received recognition from New Century Writers, Writers of the Future, Writer’s Digest, The Eric Hoffer Prose Award program, Short Story America, and other organizations. His how-to articles have appeared in The Writer Magazine, Writer’s Digest Magazine, and other print and online magazines. When not teaching or writing, he spends his time fly fishing or restoring antique, model locomotives.
October 23-25, 2020
Wordcrafters Online Haunted Zoom Resort
Member $150 | Nonmember $175
Members enjoy early access to registration and save 10% on classes and events.
Login to access member prices.
Don’t want to miss this event? Make sure you’re signed up for our email list to get the latest news.